Monday, July 21, 2014

One Year in the Rear View…

My husband Joey and I just celebrated our one year wedding anniversary! It is hard to believe it has already been a year but also hard to believe so many changes can happen in one year. We have both grown a lot and learned so many things about life. (Many posts to follow on the past year.) We’ll start with the proposal that started it all.


Joey proposed on April 30th of 2013. He surprised me with a trip to Chicago to visit one of his brothers and his family. We both took off work and made a long weekend out of it. It was a Tuesday morning. We woke up and had breakfast as usual and then headed off for a surprise day out. His sister-in-love dropped us off at the train station and we went into the city. Joey was super nervous about missing the train for some reason and I couldn’t figure out why he was so antsy. Our first stop was Navy Pier. It was early in the morning so none of the shops were open, it was quiet and peaceful. I was so excited to be back where we had first connected three years earlier. I was taking pictures and caught up in just enjoying the beautiful morning. Then another weird thing happened, Joey got mad at me for taking too many pictures! Now, if you know my husband this should really shock you. If you don’t, be shocked anyways. He’s the picture taker, take your time, smell the roses type. I’m the goal oriented one. Not on this Tuesday though! He was on a mission! The Ferris wheel is where he and I would both say we had our first “non-date” so that’s where we were. 

It was closed for repairs so we kept walking. We came upon the Juliet statue and I, of course, for some unknown reason, decided we needed to take a picture of it and was not paying any attention to Joey’s nervous energy. He instead pointed out the Chicago skyline and when another person passed by he asked if she would mind taking our picture. Little did I know, he had also asked her to stay and take pictures of him proposing. We took the picture in front of the skyline and then he turned to me, gave me a hug and just stared at me. I tried to pull away to relieve the poor lady who was just standing there watching him hug me, but he told me to just wait a minute. And then…as I was explaining to him why we needed to relieve the kind stranger, he totally forgot everything he was going to say, got on one knee,  and said the sweetest words a girl could ever hear… “I love you. Will you marry me?” You can imagine what followed…lots of “Yes! Yes! Yes!” He picked the perfect ring! Then the phone calls began. I could not wait to tell any one and everyone!


The rest of the day was filled with tons of excitement, lots of ring flashing, plenty of pictures (now taken by Joey, he could breathe again), pizza, bakeries, taxis, trains and walking. It happened to be the hottest day in Chicago's history, or so it seemed to me, and I had worn jeans! You can imagine how fun that part was. But really it didn't matter to me at the time. When we got back to his brother’s house they had sparkling grape juice and a bouquet of my favorite flowers to celebrate! It was so fun to tell them how it happened to celebrate and then find out that everyone except me had been in on the planning. We drove home, on the phone all the way, still sharing the news and then the wedding planning began…




No comments:

Post a Comment